Sunday 9 June 2013

Q. Oliver - Photographer

Perfect day for a dip HeatherPhotographed by Q. OliverLeica M6...



Perfect day for a dip
Heather
Photographed by Q. Oliver
Leica M6 TTL + Carl Zeiss 35mm C Biogon f/2.8 + Fuji Velvia 50

Thankyou for your response, I'm definitely getting the f100 now Question: that shoot you did with jordan at the skate board park. Is that in NY? I was looking for an area like that to shoot, but couldn't find it in NY. Thanks in advance :)

Any time! You're going to love the F100- I'd suggest the Nikon 50mm 1.8D for a good low cost prime lens. It's pretty hard to get a bad photo with it.

The skate park that I photographed Jordan at is actually in Atlanta. I'm not familiar with places in NYC but I'm sure Google could help you out. There's got to be at two or three really good ones up there.

AllyPhotographed by Q. OliverLeica M6 TTL + Carl Zeiss 35mm C...



Ally
Photographed by Q. Oliver
Leica M6 TTL + Carl Zeiss 35mm C Biogon f/2.8 + Ilford HP5+

I am not a photographer

I’ve spent a great deal of time over the last several months trying to find my way as a photographer. I’ve asked myself over and over questions like “what the hell am I doing?!” “How are my photographs going to get me anywhere in life?!” But then I realized that I am not a photographer. I’ve got more to give the world than that. After spending about a month working with a brilliant man who I consider an “advertising guru”, I’ve picked up some invaluable advice and inspiration. Calling myself a photographer is rather limiting. Moving in one direction and expecting to come out ahead with a narrow minded outlook on my life is insane. What about my other talents? I won’t say too much else but I will say this- the world is going to have a hard time forgetting my art and the readers of this blog will have the pleasure of seeing first hand what the power of creativity can accomplish.

DiorPhotographed by Q. OliverOlympus OM-1 + Olympus Zuiko 50mm...



Dior
Photographed by Q. Oliver
Olympus OM-1 + Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 + Fuji Acros 100

This is why I love Pan F+HeatherPhotographed by Q. OliverLeica...



This is why I love Pan F+
Heather
Photographed by Q. Oliver
Leica M6 TTL + Leica 50mm Summicron + Ilford Pan F+

Bella Photographed by Q. OliverNikon F100 + Nikon 50mm f/1.8D +...



Bella
Photographed by Q. Oliver
Nikon F100 + Nikon 50mm f/1.8D + Ilford HP5+

Awesome work man. How is the f100? I was thinking about purchasing one with a 35mm lens. So want to make sure it's a wise investment. Thanks

The F100 is one of my favorite cameras- if you're used to modern DSLR cameras then you'll have no problem at all with the F100. You can mount any Nikon F mount lens to it (manual or auto focus) and make brilliant photos. I have had issues with auto focus from time to time but it's a problem that can be solved by switching to manual focus and using the little green focus indicator in the finder :-)

If you get one, make sure all of the seals are in tact and that lenses focus properly as many of the F100 bodies have seen a lot of abuse. Try KEH, they have a lot of good deals there.

Rebekah & Sasha





Rebekah & Sasha

What happened to your website?

My website is undergoing some changes right now but will be back up and running within the week.

do you know of any medium format SLRs that are film? the only ones i can find are either not SLRs or not film.

There are many medium format SLRs to choose from!

My first was the Mamiya 645 Pro TL but you could look at the hasselblad 500c/m, Mamiya RB or RZ, bronica, or Rolleiflex SL66 just to name a few.

Erin + Britni Photographed by Q. OliverOlympus OM-1 + Olympus...





Erin + Britni
Photographed by Q. Oliver
Olympus OM-1 + Olympus F.Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 + Kodak Tri-X
Lomo LC-A+ + Lomography Color 400

i really wanna get into photography, any suggestions for a beginner?

1. Decide whether or not this is going to be a hobby or a career.

2. Buy a camera that suits your needs. That means researching different cameras before you charge into your local electronics store and pick out the first Canon or Nikon you see with a "professional" looking lens!

3. Consider buying a FILM camera! No, that's not just me being bias- Film will cause you to slow down and THINK before you click that shutter button. Digital cameras give you the option to shoot thousands of photos without considering things like composition or exposure. I hear all too often "oh , I can fix that in photoshop." or something like that. Learn to do it right when you make the photo and you'll never have to open photoshop.

4. Go out and shoot… all day every day (or as much as your schedule will allow)

Simple :-)

JordanPhotographed by Q. OliverNikon F100 + Nikon 24mm f/2.8D +...



Jordan
Photographed by Q. Oliver
Nikon F100 + Nikon 24mm f/2.8D + Kodak Portra 160

what film cameras do you recommend for beginners into film cameras?

I literally get this question EVERY DAY at the camera store I teach at and my answer never changes:

35mm-
1. Pentax K100 (the thing is a TANK!!! Completely idiot-proof and 100% analogue)
2. Nikon FE (Nikon's "F" mount hasn't changed since the original Nikon F so if you have a Nikon digital camera, you can use your film lenses on your digital camera. Leica, to my knowledge, is the only other company that can say this for their 35mm/digital cameras)
3. Nikon F3 (Really, it's just a joy to shoot- once you pick it up, you'll be hooked)
4. Canon A-1 / AE-1 (My first and still one of my favorite cameras. Even if you're completely new to cameras, it's controls feel familiar and simple)

Medium Format-
1. Yashica-mat (The "poor man's Rollei" with a remarkably sharp lens- a great intro into 6x6 photography)
2. Rolleiflex 3.5 (It's a Rollei! Small and bulletproof. If you haven't heard of Vivian Maier, Google her and you'll see why I recommend this or any Rollei to my students. Hell, I love the Rollei so much that I have THREE of em!)

Lunch with muh Brittneh!





Lunch with muh Brittneh!

Niec'Photographed by Q. OliverLeica M6 TTL + Leica 50mm...



Niec'
Photographed by Q. Oliver
Leica M6 TTL + Leica 50mm Summicron + Kodak Tri-X

Jordan has a really old skateboardPhotographed by Q. OliverNikon...



Jordan has a really old skateboard
Photographed by Q. Oliver
Nikon F100 + Nikon 24mm f/2.8D + Rollei Crossbird

The photograph of Hillary is beautiful. Are there others in your portfolio? Regards,

Thanks! I just posted one more but the rest are reserved for print only.

In case you didn't already know, Hillary is more awesome...



In case you didn't already know, Hillary is more awesome than you are.
Photographed by Q. Oliver
Hasselbad 500 C/M + Carl Zeiss 80mm f/2.8 Planar CFT* + Ilford Pan F+

No comments:

Post a Comment